Amazon

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Cashew Coffee Creamer - That's Nuts!



If you're intestines are like mine, they cannot handle the spicy milk. I seem to be able to eat cheeses and yogurt, but for some reason milk and cream give me some major gastrointestinal issues. I will leave it at that since this is the intro to a recipe. I have survived without cream in my coffee for almost a year. I tried coconut oil, coconut milk, and organic half and half (this was a long shot but I was hoping it might work.) The coconut products didn't give me any gut issues, but there is a sour flavor in coconut that just doesn't seem to work with coffee. And the half and half was a major fail. Then I started reading up on nut milks. I tried putting store bought almond milk in my coffee and it gave the coffee a strange taste and was very watery. Next I turned to the Pinterest. What I found, tested, and thoroughly enjoyed is my very simple recipe for Cashew Coffee Creamer.



Cashew Coffee Creamer


1 Cup Cashews

3 Cups Filtered Water

1 Tablespoon Honey (optional)


Start by putting the cashews in your blender jar, add the 3 cups of water and put the lid on. Set your kitchen timer for 4 hours. After the cashews have soaked for the allotted time, blend on high for about a minute. Add the honey and blend for another 30 seconds or until the mixture is creamy. At this point you can strain the liquid through a cheesecloth into a mason jar, cover and keep in the fridge for up to one week. I personally don't strain mine, I use a Vitamix and it ends up being like a cream. 


Optional Options: You can leave the honey out, or add any sweetener of your choice. Cashews are naturally sweet so I don't find that I need to add the honey. I have made the same creamer with Almonds, but I didn't find that they were as creamy and sweet. Almonds also have a pesky shell that forces you to strain the milk. If you can get raw cashews they work best, but in a pinch I have used roasted cashews and they have worked just fine. I like to put my creamer in this Bormioli Glass Jug with an airtight lid.

Hubby's thoughts: My hubby loves cream and sugar in his coffee, and he has never been willing to give up dairy for his morning cup of joe even though he is definitely lactose intolerant. When I made this creamer, he thought he would give it a try like he does most of my concoctions. He usually tells me it tastes ok, but that he will stick with his usual since he doesn't need to eat like me. He has now switched from dairy creamer to this every morning. He loves it! He has even made it a few times since it is so easy to prepare. 


No comments:

Post a Comment